• (718) 522-4696
  • dtcb@dancewave.org
  • Brooklyn, NY

Study Videos

DTCB Parents who plan to attend the Admissions & Financial Aid Q&As should study the video presentations below in advance.

Bring your questions to the Live Q&A Panels on event Sundays! See dates and times below:


“What questions do I want to ask?”

Pre-event webinar with Barrie Raffel

In this video, Barrie offers insight into detailed questions that you can ask the college representatives during the Fair to help you hone in on your ideal dance program.

Live Q&A Sundays, October 18 & 25, 10:30 – 11:30am EDT

with Adrienne King

Student Services Advisor and President of the New York State Financial Aid Administrator’s Association (NYSFAAA)
Read more

Live Q&A Sundays, October 18 & 25,
12:00 – 1:00pm EDT

with Barrie Raffel

Dance College Advisor – Consultant for COPA, Inc. (College Options in the Performing Arts). Read more

and Suzanne Jeffrey

Co-Founder, Role Call: College Admissions for Dancers. Read more.



Applying to international schools: “For a US student to apply to programs abroad, the international application process is not as easy as in the United States (or Canada) because each country, each university, is individual, and has their own application process. The one great exception to this is for the UK, Scotland, and Wales. The site that students use is www.ucas.com (for both international students, EU students, or anyone wanting to apply to the UK/Scotland/or Wales.)

For this application process, the student must decide on a total of five (5) programs because that is the maximum number of schools or programs that can be applied to in any one year. So a great deal of thought must be put into this decision. After the application is submitted, each school responds to the student, with an “offer” (accept or deny), and the student must then narrow down the choices to two (2): A reach school and a safety school. The decisions reached by the university are based on predicted grades, provided by the school. After the student takes the final examinations, and the grades are received, the student then sees which school they will be attending. (If the predicted grades are attained for the reach school, then the student goes there. But if the student did not achieve the predicted grades, then the student generally goes to the safety school.) This usually happens after the student has already graduated from high school, during the summer after they have graduated.

It is quite a different process than in the United States where the university looks at the application and admits, denies, or waitlists the student during the senior year.

Is it more difficult for an international student to get into a US university program?” Generally, the answer is no, but there is more paperwork, and perhaps more travel involved. There are specific things that international students need to do in order for the application process to be smooth. Again, the earlier you begin, the better it is. You will need to collect your transcripts and at least two recommendations for the application, (one academic and one from the dance professor) and you will need to have all of your documents translated into English. You will also need a financial certification which allows the university to know that you, and your family, are financially responsible. The required documents and their deadlines are due at different times depending on the university, so that, when accepted, the university is free to issue you an F1 visa (Depending on the university, you may need to complete the CSS Profile.)

You will need to keep copies of all of these financial documents because your visa needs to be renewed each year: “After that 1 year has passed, your F1 visa expires and you must renew it. You can stay in the U.S with an expired F1 visa as long as your Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status is valid.”

You will need to take a TOEFL or an IELTS (or some universities are allowing the DUOLINGO test) for all non-native speakers, even if you speak English like a native. You will also need to have a good relationship with your counselor, if you have one, or the Head of your school if you are in a local school. If you attend an international school, then you will have a college counselor.

Live Q&A: Sunday, October 18, 3:00 – 4:15pm EDT

with Carol K. Walker

Dance Chair, Hunter College in NYC